Sonia

Sonia

Sonia is one of the successful stars of 2005 Close Up One competition. Recently she came back from Europe-America tour.

In 2005 after the end of Close Up One two solo albums of yours came out ‘Nithur Bashi’ and ‘Bhebe Nebo’. What is the news about the albums?

Audience liked both of my albums. As audience liked it so songs like ‘Nithur Bashi’, ‘Bazare Bazare Dhol Aar Dhaak/Elore Pohela Boishakh’, ‘Shara Banglai Khuji Tomar’ from the album ‘Nithur Bashir’ and from album ‘Bhebe Nebo’ songs like ‘Taar Lagi Mon Purey Jai’, ‘Diwana’, ‘Jaa Mon Pakhi Ure Ja’ became superhit. All in all two albums are of two types. ‘Nithur Bashi’ is commercial folk and ‘Bhebe Nebo’ is suitable for current time. In two albums ‘Nithur Bashir’ in the tune of Shaokot Ali Imon and ‘Bhebe Nebo’ in the tune Hridoy Khan audience found an independent Sonia.

You came 4th in 2005 close up one competition. This type of singing competitions is taking place almost in every channel. What do you think about the necessity of so many competitions?

First of all, the aim of these competitions is to promote Bangla music. To revive songs from old days. After Close Up One interest of learning music among new generation increased. Youths are not practicing more of Bangla songs. But this also has to be said that this type of contests are nothing by commercial concepts. As a result channels are competing to organize contests. But it has to be remembered that no contest can give birth to an artist. No competition can create artists like Runa Laila or Sabina Yasmin. Artists are born. It would have been better if Close Up One competition is organized once in 5-10 years. If you just notice that except Salma all other artists came through 2005 Close Up One competition. After that no singer came up through any other show.

After Close Up One competition you have been singing independently. Why are you doing this?

I am forever in debt to Close Up One. In last 4 years the way I went ahead would not have been possible without Close Up One. After coming out of Close Up I took some independent steps. I did not want to remain within any constraints. I always wanted to be present among audience. That is why I have been able to strengthen my position. I do not know if anyone from Close Up done that.

How satisfied are you with your position?

I am really happy with my position. That is why right now I am able to think where I will be in 20 years. I want to be a legend in Bangladesh. Within entity of an artist I want to be unique person.

As an artist of this generation how aware are you about the social responsibilities?

I am an idol. This is nothing but a blessing of Allah. That day I went to Dhaka Cambrian College. All the girls came rushing at the sight of me. They really noticed what sort of clothes I wear, how I walk, how I talk and so on. My favorite color is red. When I went to do show in Las Vegas I saw that curtains, bedsheets as in everything is red in houses of Bangla community. I was amazed. They have been decorating their houses for one month because of my arrival. I understood that artists carry social responsibilities. Compared to an ordinary person a celebrity affects the society much more. That is why a successful artist needs to be serious about social responsibilities.

At this phase of the career how serious are you about your stage and album?

Demands for me on stage are increasing day by day. That is why I am very serious about stage. On the other hand I am not in favor of bringing out albums every year. I want to arrange properly and gift audience a beautiful new solo album. I have started to work on that album. Unless I am satisfied this album is not coming to the market.

Many think that you don’t have original songs. What is your opinion on this issue?

A number of my original songs have been released. Like ‘Shara Bangla’, ‘Moner-e Taney’, ‘Bondhu Premer-e Taney’, ‘Khuji Tomare’, ‘Shukh Amaar Shoilona’, these songs are always popular on stage with audience.

What is your opinion about present day’s changed music?

Whenever an old song is remade it is always a hit. That is why I say old songs will always live. The change that is taking place now is accepted more by urban audience. But I have one question, what is in the changed music? I always think about with what songs audience is accepting me.