Saturday, February 6, 2010

Nusrat Imroz Tisha

Samaresh Majumdar's epic novel "Garbhodharini" comes to TV

Samaresh Majumdar's epic novel "Garbhodharini" comes to TV

The story of four friends that took Bengali readers by storm and continues to fascinate generations is now coming to TV. A mega-serial titled “”, an adaptation of Samaresh Majumdar’s hugely popular novel, goes on air on January 6 at 8:15 pm on Channel 1.

“Garbhodharini” narrates the adventures of Joyita, Shudip, Anondo and Kollan who, despite their dissimilar backgrounds, have similar ideologies about the flaws of the society. Joyita comes from an affluent family that made its fortune by means of her father’s corrupt practices. Similarly, Shudip’s father is a dubious lawyer; his mother is paraplegic. Anondo’s mother is his best friend; his father lost his life for political reasons.

Kollan is a brilliant student, but his family is hard up. These four are unhappy with the state of the society, with their surroundings and want to change things. They plan to bomb selected areas, not to hurt anyone but with the intention of bringing various shady activities to everyone’s attention. Their actions infuriate influential figures involved, and soon the authorities pursue the perpetrators. The rebellious quartet dodge the police and take refuge in a secluded area.

The entire initiative to bring the novel to the small screen was undertaken by Shankha Dasgupta, director of the serial. “I chose ‘Garbhodharini’ because when I read it, I felt like it demanded to be made into a film or serial,” says Dasgupta. The author agreed to Dasgupta’s proposal under the condition that he would write the script himself. Seventy-two episodes (each 22-minute long) of the serial are jointly produced by Top of Mind and Prionty. The cast includes Tisha, Hillol, Shajol, Shahriar Shubho, Saberi Alam, Pijush Bandyopadhyay, Mahmudul Islam Mithu, Shamima Naznin, Jayonto Chattyopadhyay, Chitralekha Guho and others. “Garbhodharini” will be aired every Wednesday and Thursday at 8:15pm.

Farooki and Tisha urged the audience to support quality Bangla films

Farooki and Tisha urged the audience to support quality Bangla films

Filmmaker Mostafa Sarwar Farooki and actress Tisha were accorded a reception in Pabna last Tuesday evening when they arrived at the Rupkotha Cinema Hall in town, which is screening Farooki’s “Third Person Singular Number”. The reception was held at the movie theatre.

The filmmaker and actress urged the audience to support quality Bangla films. If a sensible audience goes to the movie theatres more, the production of meaningful films would increase. Directors would be interested in making more quality films for the audience, they were of the view. Tisha, who played the protagonist of “Third Person Singular Number”, asked all to support the film industry.

“There is a common complaint that the number of quality films are dwindling and that the environment of movie theatres is not healthy. The situation can improve only when people start coming back to the cinema halls,” Tisha said. Managing director of Rupkotha Cinema Hall, Sohani Hossain, also spoke on the occasion. Earlier she received the filmmaker and actress with flowers at the movie theatre. Later Farooki and Tisha talked to the audience and exchanged views on the film.

Third Person Singular Number selected=

Third Person Singular Number selected to take part in Pusan International Film Festival

“Third Person Singular Number” would have to be the most promising film of the year. Though the cinematic work has not even been released in Bangladesh, it has already been selected to participate at major international film festivals. The film had its world premiere at the 14th Pusan International Film Festival, South Korea. A major share of credit for the success of “Third Person…” has to go to filmmaker Mostofa Sarwar Farooki.

“The experience was amazing. When the film was first selected to take part in Pusan International Film Festival (considered Asia’s largest film festival), I was thrilled. Sadly most people don’t know about it because we are not yet au fait about the Asian film festivals. There were 7,000 foreign distributors, festival directors from Berlin, Venice and other places. There was an audience of around 200,000 from various nations, backgrounds and cultures. Through this, our film got world access, with many reporters from around the world putting this film in their columns. The 10-minute question-answer episode at the festival got extended to 45 minutes. It was overwhelming! The autographs, the applause, the appreciation — it all actually made me nervous,” Farooki said.

Is the filmmaker known for his unusual approach to storytelling gung ho about the prospects of the film? “Yes, of course! It created a major buzz. It will travel to more film festivals. It’s not a very complicated film. It has a lot of heart,” he added on a lighter note. “This is a film about reality. It’s my first film that got real international accolades. It was also one of the 18 films vying for the top prize at the recent Middle East International Film Festival in Abu Dhabi. ‘Third Person…’ was the only South Asian film to participate at the festival.” “We didn’t win the award, but meeting the legendary Iranian filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami was bigger than any award for me. I wanted to tell him that I consider him to be my mentor but the way he was praising my film made me so nervous that I couldn’t manage to say how much I admire his work!”

Tisha, who played one of the central roles in “Third Person…”, talked about her experiences. “I can’t explain my excitement,” she said enthusiastically, “as it had been screened at two major international festivals and had already been the centre of much curiosity even before it’s release in Bangladesh. The expectations have become greater.” “The feedback was awesome for me as it was my first feature film. Everyone’s appreciation was overwhelming. This was perhaps the best experience for me because in the beginning I never even imagined that I would do a movie. My parents were also not keen on seeing me on the big screen. Thanks to Farooki and others friends whose help I enlisted, I could finally convince my parents and they gladly agreed. What came next, everyone knows. I found myself landing into one of the biggest projects of this year. When I read the script, the story was so good, I was like ‘Oh my God, I don’t want to lose it!’ “When I actually saw the final print, I couldn’t believe it was me,” she added.

What was the experience like for Topu? “It was a treat. It never felt like we were shooting a film. Farooki selects actors depending on the characters. Maybe he saw a connection between the character and me. I could do it only because he made it seem easy to me. I’m a musician, so this was totally a different experience. In acting you need to concentrate psychologically and physically, whereas in music you just let it flow,” said the singer turned actor. “I couldn’t attend the film festivals. The film is also going to Australia this December; hopefully I would be going to that one,” Topu added. “I had missed South Korea, but of course I received updates on how things went,” said actor Mosharraf Karim who played one of the lead roles. “Being a part of this film had been like a thrill-ride. The experience was unlike any other from the incipient stage when we were just working on it. “Everyone in the country is excited and waiting eagerly for its release. Wherever I go, people are asking me about it, and I find myself wondering the same as just like them I’m also anxiously waiting for it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment